Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Your Ipod's on the Floor.

I was charging my ipod at work when it fell from the top of the CPU and landed face upwards on the floor.
I was very tempted to pick it up and put it back on top, but instead I just let it lie there.

This is my brain during those three seconds:
My ipod is on the floor.
Should I pick it up?
Would letting it lie on the floor mean I'm disrespecting it?
(My mother always told me letting things lie on the floor had something to do with disrespect. I cannot quite fathom what but that connection was made when I was a child and it stuck.)

Maybe I should let it lie there.
Su loved putting things on the floor.
In our hostel room there'd always be books lying on the floor near the head of the bed.
(This had something to do with them being withing arm's reach and when I saw it happening around me so much I thought it to be extremely practical, provided you had a clean floor. Also, it didn't imply disrespect at all.)

So after staring at the ipod for a while and clouding my mind with these multi layered contradictions, I decided to let it lie there, on a firm floor, with the cable resting easy on the side, glancing at it every now and then as it stared at my legs.

1 comment:

  1. Did you also notice how dirty your slippers are? :D

    ReplyDelete